January 5, 2014

Piecing Batting

I set out to begin my next quilting project which is a twin size quilt for my Husband's birthday this next week.  I looked at my stash of batting that I already had and found scraps from previous quilts.  But, I had a pretty big pile of scraps.  I started going through it and realized I had some pretty big pieces of batting.  Crossing my fingers, I measured the pieces and found that I had enough to piece four equal parts together to make a twin size blanket.  Happy day!  This not only helped me use up my scraps, but it saved me from having to purchase more batting.

From my scraps I cut four rectangles a little bigger than 45"x 36".  I then used my rotary cutter and gave the four pieces a straight edge.  Having a straight edge is important because when it is sewn together, there can't be any overlapping of the batting. 

I used stitch number 05
Once I had four equal pieces with straight edges, I used a 3-step zig-zag stitch on my machine to sew the two pieces of batting together (this makes three stitches before it switches directions and then stitches it three times the opposite way).

  I had to hold the batting pretty tight on both sides of the presser foot as it was stitching to keep the batting from gathering.  It was pretty simple and no pins were needed to hold it in place. Once all four pieces were sewn together the size of the batting was 90"x 72".  Perfect for quilting.

I had to roll it up to fit it through my machine.

 
Close up of the stitches
If you look closely you can see the seams.




No comments:

Post a Comment