December 2, 2013

Christmas Stockings

Quilting small projects are the best for learning.  I am totally the type to see something that I want to make, and then find myself neck deep in failure.

I saw some quilted stockings and fell head over heels in love with the idea.  I am still new to quilting and I am learning as I go, but these stockings seemed like a safe project. They are small enough that I can afford to make a few mistakes. At this point, my stockings are still a work in progress.  I am trying to do all of the same steps for each stocking at the same time.  I cut all of my fabric one day, pieced together the fabric another day, and now they are ready to be quilted.

I tried to make two of them handsome enough for my boys.

This was my first attempt at hexagons.  They are a little tricky, and it took me a lot longer to piece this stocking together.  I will be adding a tutorial for hexagons after Christmas. I found a couple of tricks that make it a little easier. 

I love Christmas fabric!
I had to cut and piece together enough hexagons to be able to cut out the pattern.  I found the printable stocking pattern from ModaBakeShop.com. I then cut out batting and a white fabric for the inside. 

 

I pinned the fabrics and the batting in place and then straight line quilted this stocking.  I still have to bind them all together and create the flap that folds over the top of the stockings.  I am anxious to finish these and get them hanging by our Christmas tree!




1 comment:

  1. So cute! I love the hexagons and cars. Perfect for a little boy.

    ReplyDelete